Endangered Species Day
Saturday, May 17, 2014
Did you know that Zoo Atlanta is home to some of the world’s rarest animals? More than 60 of our animal species, from giant pandas to eastern black rhinos, are classified as threatened, endangered or critically endangered. In order to preserve these species, Zoo Atlanta has become actively involved in numerous conservation projects around the globe. We want to share some of these exciting stories with you in hopes that you’ll help us spread the word!
On Saturday, May 17, meet some of our amazing animals, enjoy special keeper talks and educational activities, and learn about ways you can help support wildlife conservation from your own backyard to the corners of the world.
- Test your animal knowledge with an endangered species themed Scavenger Hunt.
- Enjoy interactive crafts and activities for kids; enrichment treats for the animals!
- Meet and greet with PBS favorite Daniel Tiger.
- Special showings at 11 a.m. & 2 p.m. of Born to be Wild, a heartwarming film that documents orphaned orangutans and elephants and the extraordinary people who rescue and raise them.
- Bring in your old cell phones for recycling at our EcoCell drop-off to help protect gorillas and their habitats.
- Learn about some of the exciting conservation projects supported by Zoo Atlanta staff and partners.
Many of our endangered and critically endangered species will enjoy special enrichment during Endangered Species Day. Stop by these habitats to look for many of the natural behaviors we celebrate!
- Eastern bongos – 9:30 a.m.
- Orangutans – 10 a.m. (Orangutan Habitat 1) and 2:30 p.m. (Orangutan Habitat 2)
- Golden lion tamarins – 10 a.m.
- Black-and-white-ruffed lemurs – 10:15 a.m.
- Bali mynahs – 10:30 a.m.
- Drills – 10:30 a.m.
- Woma python – 10:30 a.m. (Wieland Wildlife Home window box exhibit)
- Giant pandas – 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.
- Hooded vultures – 1:30 p.m.
- Gorillas – 2 p.m. (Gorilla Habitat 3) and 2:15 p.m. (Gorilla Habitat 1)
- Eastern black rhinos – 2 p.m.
- Sumatran tigers – 2 p.m.
Activities will run from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Free for Zoo Atlanta Members and children under 3; FREE with general admission. Endangered Species Day is a rain-or-shine event!