Find the answers to the following questions at each animal exhibit. Be sure to read all exhibit signs, as they provide valuable information. Print out the PDF to bring to the Zoo!
Find the answers here!
- Flamingos are found in what type of habitat in the wild?
- How long do elephants live?
- Elephants have how many muscles in their trunks?
- What are the warts on a warthog for?
- What do meerkats do to intimidate predators?
- What species of rhinoceros do we have at Zoo Atlanta?
- Giraffes have a really long tongue. How long is it?
- Giraffe babies can grow one inch a day. True or False?
- What kind of insect builds mini-high rises for its home on the savanna?
- A lion’s roar can be heard how far away?
- What does “duiker” mean?
- What are the granite rock outcrops on the savanna called?
- What is an alternative to ivory?
- What are two different meerkat jobs?
What do elephants use their trunks for?
o To reach food
o To bring water to their mouths
o To put dust on their backs
o To breathe
o All of the above
Match these animals with their characteristics:
A) No two have exactly the same pattern of stripes
B) Can weigh up to 12,000 pounds
C) Are about 6 feet tall when they are born
Ford African Rain Forest
- What kind of gorillas does Zoo Atlanta have?
- Name one way researchers are able to tell gorillas apart.
- What type of primate are lemurs?
- When do male gorillas’ backs turn silver?
The Living Treehouse
- What kind of lemurs does Zoo Atlanta have?
- Name two monkey species sharing the same habitat at The Living Treehouse.
- What is the most endangered monkey species in Africa? Why is it so endangered?
- Where do drills store food?
- What type of otter is exhibited at Zoo Atlanta?
- Name one thing this species of otter likes to eat.
Naked Mole Rats
- What type of social behavior do naked mole rats exhibit and what does that mean?
- For how long does a mother orangutan carry her totally dependent infant?
- How many years are there usually between births for an orangutan?
- Where do orangutans build their nests in the forest?
- Do orangutans have a long or short childhood?
- What is the current conservation status of Sumatran orangutans in the wild?
- What do orangutans enjoy eating?
- What are two major threats to this species’ survival?
- Match the body adaptation of the red panda with its function.
o Sense of smell
o Large tail
a) helps them grasp bamboo
b) helps them balance
c) helps them locate food
d) helps protect them from the cold
e) helps them find their way in the dark
- How many red pandas can you expect to see together in the wild?
World of Reptiles
- Name two of the most serious threats to frog species in the wild.
- What are three of the ways scientists and researchers are attempting to fight the amphibian crisis?
- What is the second largest rattlesnake species in Georgia?
- How long does the reticulated python get?
- What is “the most ferocious animal in the world?” How much forest does this species consume annually?
- Why are sun bears harvested?
- Where do sun bears get their name?
- Are the markings on a sun bear’s chest unique or the same for all bears?
- What are the extinct subspecies of tigers?
- Why are Burmese star tortoises endangered?
- Do Sumatran tigers live in large groups or on their own?
- In what part of the world can wreathed hornbills be found?
- What animal family does the tanuki belong to?
- What country are radiated tortoises found in?
- While bamboo makes up 99% of the giant pandas’ diet, the species retains what physical characteristic(s) of carnivores?
- Giant pandas are endangered. It is estimated that only __ remain in the wild.
- What is the sixth digit on the panda’s paw called?
- Giant pandas are most closely related to the:
a) Red panda
- True or False: Pandas can see in color.
- What species of kangaroo do we have at Zoo Atlanta?
- What do kangaroos eat in the wild?
- What happens to the wattled crane when it becomes aggressive?
- How many Kune Kune pigs were left in the 1970s?
Golden Lion Tamarins
- What two different types of tamarins does Zoo Atlanta have?
- What is it called when a GLT vocalizes to another GLT that is in another part of the habitat?
- A king vulture can live for how long?
- Victoria crowned pigeons come from what island nation?
- What does the call of an adult female Cereopsis goose sound like?