New Volunteens interact with the public by introducing conservation topics and sharing the stories of our animals at specific animal exhibits. Over the course of their first year, Volunteens will also have opportunities to become involved in areas such as Safari Day Camp, Horticulture, and a number of special events.
Once their level of commitment and responsibility has been demonstrated in the program, Volunteens will have the opportunity to work alongside Zoo staff performing animal care and husbandry.
This program requires a one-year commitment from the teen volunteer, and from his or her entire family, who must provide transportation, encouragement, support and cooperation. This program is a serious time commitment and Volunteens are expected to make this program a top priority during the year.
Applications for the 2014-2015 program were due March 3, 2014, including the online form, science teacher reference, and letter of recommendation. Late applications are not accepted. Current applicants will be notified by April 20, 2014, if they have been accepted into the program.
- Be 14-17 years old by June 1, 2014
- Truly interested in making Volunteening a number one extracurricular activity of the year
- This program requires a one-year commitment from the teen volunteer, as well as from his or her entire family, who must provide transportation, encouragement, support and cooperation. This program is a serious time commitment and Volunteens are expected to make this program a top priority during the year
- Willing to take a Tuberculosis Skin Test (PPD Type)
If selected, he/she must:
- Submit a negative Tuberculosis Skin Test (PPD Type) by June 1, 2014
- Wear appropriate attire at all times, which includes khaki bottoms, the provided Volunteen T-shirt, and name badge.
- The program is based on having Volunteens keep a consistent schedule at the Zoo all year, not on gaining a certain total number of hours by the end of the year, but teens will accumulate approximately 200 or more hours a year.
Teens are expected to have:
- 100 hours completed during the summer term – June 1 to August 31, 2014
- 50 hours completed during the fall term – September 1 to December 31, 2014
- 50 hours completed during the spring term – January 1, 2014 to May 31, 2015
- Attend orientation and training sessions (see dates below)
- Pay an Orientation Fee of $30. This fee provides the Volunteen with a T-shirt, name badge and water bottle, and will help to defray orientation and training costs
- Orientation for Teens and Parents - April 26 or May 4, 2014
- Training dates - June 9 - 13, 2014
For more information, contact the Volunteen Office at: email@example.com