New Volunteens interact with the public by introducing conservation topics and sharing the stories of our animals at specific animal exhibits. Over the course of their first year, Volunteens will also have opportunities to become involved in areas such as Safari Day Camp, Horticulture, and a number of special events.
Once their level of commitment and responsibility has been demonstrated in the program, Volunteens will have the opportunity to work alongside Zoo staff performing animal care and husbandry.
This program requires a one-year commitment from the teen volunteer, and from his or her entire family, who must provide transportation, encouragement, support and cooperation. This program is a serious time commitment and Volunteens are expected to make this program a top priority during the year.
The deadline for the 2016-2017 year has passed and applications are no longer being accepted. Applications will become available January 2017. In the meantime, we welcome you to “Like” us on Facebook and visit the zoo to learn more about our Volunteen Program.
Be 14-17 years old by June 1, 2017
Be truly interested in making Volunteening a number one extracurricular activity of the year
This program requires a one-year commitment from the teen volunteer, as well as from his or her entire family, who must provide transportation, encouragement, support and cooperation. This program is a serious time commitment and Volunteens are expected to make this program a top priority during the year
- Be willing to take a Tuberculosis Skin Test (PPD Type)
Submit a negative Tuberculosis Skin Test (PPD Type) by June 1, 2017
Attend one Orientation Session with a parent or guardian, April 30 or May 6
Attend all five days of the mandatory training, June 5-9 (no makeup training will be offered)
Wear appropriate attire at all times, which includes khaki bottoms, closed toe shoes, the provided Volunteen T-shirt, and name badge
Teens are expected to have:
- 100 hours completed during the summer term – June 1 to August 31, 2017
- 30 hours completed during the fall term – September 1 to December 31, 2017
- 30 hours completed during the spring term – January 1 to May 31, 2018
- Pay an Orientation Fee of $30. This fee provides the Volunteen with a T-shirt, name badge and water bottle, and will help to defray orientation and training costs.
The 2017- 2018 Volunteen Application is coming soon!
- Important Dates for the 2017-2018 Program Year
- Interest Panel for Potential Volunteens – February 9, 2017
- Interview Dates for Selected Applicants - March 11 or 19, 2017
- Orientation for Teens and Parents - April 30 or May 6, 2017
- Training Dates - June 5-9, 2017